Sunday, May 16, 2010

The weekend weekend weekend...

This weekend has been good, like really good. And full of things I don't usually do. Like watching movies. Going to the temple. Eat some chocolate. You know things that people normally do.

Anyway yesterday I went to Pavilion with Ching Wen, Laetitia and Yati. We ate some heinously bad food at Wong Kok Char Chan Teng. It's basically fashioned as this semi hip hangout for young (Chinese) kids to eat Hong Kong style street food. All of us ordered like hot plate meals and the meat was horribly tough and the sauce was also very subpar. The drinks were good though. So our conclusion? Eat noodles when in a Hong Kong style eatery. And actual street food type dishes.

I went to MANGO and also picked up this super cute sweater. Will post picture below:


Ching Wen picked it out. I'm convinced that boys are good at shopping for women's clothes because they tend to gravitate towards the simplest thing. Also because they kind of don't care at all they tend to be a bit objective.


Then we watched Robin Hood. Which was bad. Seriously. Basically here's what was wrong.

1. It was not Gladiator
2. The dialogue
3. The editing
4. It was not Gladiator
5. Too many characters
6. Very bad scene flow
7. Very overdone story with Robin Longstride's father
8. It was not Gladiator

It had some things going for it though. And that thing was Russell Crowe.

I mean seriously that man could not get more charismatic if he tried. Also he's TOTALLY not a fatty anymore, he is buff and looking good.

But the thing is I just felt that the whole movie was just not what it could have been. Obviously I had to compare it with Gladiator because hell it's the same lead and the same director. The verdict? The casting was fantastic, the set and costumes were amazing and even the premise was fine. But the whole story was just so hokey and the editing almost felt so rushed and just bad.

What's happening to movies nowadays? Why can't they live up to the movies of the past, or even recent past like Gladiator? Like A Beautiful Mind? Like even Independence Day? Movies just don't have that quality and just feel unfinished nowadays. It makes me sad and afraid because one of the best things about our society is movies and storytelling and now that its become such crap, what do we have left? Global warming, wars and consumerism? I don't even know.

Anyway that's me on my soapbox.

Apart from that I ate THE BEST chocolate croissant from The Loaf (it has custard in it1) and then went home.

Today my mum and I actually went to the Geeta Ashram in PJ. The Geeta Ashram is basically this center, almost like a temple for devotees of people who follow this Guru who propagates the reading of the Geeta, our holy book, as basically the best way to live life/be Hindus, etc. We went there because basically it's getting to a point where my family is just so insular that we need more connections in life. My mum is North Indian and I think she's just so disconnected from that here that its important for us to reach out. Anyway it was actually really nice. The people were really nice and while I didn't really understand all of the sermon what really resonated with me was their argument that how can someone be spiritual without having any knowledge of the scriptures? And also how can you be devoted without understanding pedagogy. So that really got to me. I think we're planning on going back next week which is cool.

Nothing else really for the rest of today, I just handwashed a ton of my clothes and now I'm writing this. I'm going to go workout and get things sorted for next week - It should be CRAZY BUSY because its the first week of classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment