Wednesday, October 21, 2009

தீபாவளி வாழ்த்துக்கள்

Apparently what I just cut and paste as my title means "Happy Deepavali" in Tamil. Right. Well I hope so anyway.

What's up with me? Well, a very exhausting Deepavali weekend just happened. Oh and a very Happy Deepavali/Diwali to all my Hindu brethren. Basically there was a massive Open House that was held at my house. We invited colleagues, extended relatives and some other ppl to our house to enjoy some catered food, some home cooked food, some cookies I bought from an ex colleague.

It was crazy. Let me list the food we had.

1. Mutton peratal (catered)
2. Chicken peratal (catered)
3. Spicy brinjal (catered)
4. Ghee rice (made by mum)
5. Prawn sambal (made by mum)
6. Vegetarian and non-vegetarian bihun (made by kakak)
7. Chick pea masala (made by mum)
8. Dalcha (made by mum)
9. Potato batata vadas with mint chutney (made by mum)
10. Payasam (made by mum)
11. Milo, rose and vanilla jelly (made by mum)
12. Punch - sunkist cordial, water and sprite (made by dad)
13. Cookies (bought from ex-colleague)
14. Murukku (gift from an ex-housecleaner)

So we had all this food and all these people came. First my current colleagues came and then my ex colleagues came later, and all our neighbors, old friends and family we haven't seen for years.

Now there are two things about this whole Open House experience.
1. It's hella tiring. Like I was on my feet the whole day till like 9:00pm, running around and sweating in a bad way. Because someone came to visit us after the Open House. They're real polite.
2. It's really nice to see everyone and re-connect. Really and truly. I felt warm and fuzzy inside.

And you know I didn't lose my temper even once. Which is crazy. Because I mean I thought I would. What with all the running around, everyone in my family being rude to each other due to the high intensity of the situation. But I was totally alright.

One thing though, when people kept asking me about my job I was like no, I'm not teaching but I want to but that doesn't mean I'm a secretary although sometimes I do menial tasks... so I guess that made me realize I like need to get a move on and start teaching soon-ish. I think I'm going to take CELTA, offered at the British Council so I can be a lovely, proficient ESL teacher. I just think I need some confidence in terms of of teaching skills. Because right now I think I would make a GREAT teacher. I just don't know exactly how.

Oh and back to my Deepavali, we got like all this chocolate and food and craziness. It was awesome. I had my first Cadbury Gold two days ago. It was good. Like Ferrero Rocher good.

What else? Oh I'm going to Singapore on Saturday and coming back on Sunday, to visit Tripti who was a friend at McGill. I'm super excited having never been to Singapore. I've planned all my outfits and I think I'm going to pack tonight to avoid the pre-departure day frenzy. I also just checked with my boss and she's ok with me taking Friday off next week because Meg, Katie's old apartment mate in Montreal, will be in town. I think maybe we'll go shopping or just eat and chill out. I'm pretty excited about that too.

That's about it y'all. Oh and I'm still pining over Alexander Skarsgard who may or may not be with Kate Bosworth. I'm not sure what I think about that.

Peace.

P.S. Dammit I just realized I said I was pining after Alexander Skarsgard and not Eric Northman. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment