Saturday, August 7, 2010

I'm 24!!!

I turned 24 on the 5th of August (AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and it turned out to be one of the best days I've had in a long time.

Recently, as evidenced by my blog posts, I've been majorly angsty because I basically I HAVE NO IDEA what the hell I want to do in life. As in my career. So I talked to my old boss and the new boss and the parents and and and... it just got messy, in my head. Should I be a teacher? Should I do corporate comm? Should I write? Should I do HR? And everything is just as valid an option as the other.

But RJ, the boss put some things into perspective, about adapting my expectations. The new boss says that I am logical and that I need a degree of freedom in my work. And then there's me who knows I can't do 18 hour days and who knows that I need a certain amount of money to function happily in life. There's the fact that I like glamor and recognition but also need a somewhat balanced life. Also I must get past the fact that I have a certain ahem, problem, with authority.

Anyway after much soul searching and sleepless nights I've decided to apply to do a Masters in Mass Communications at Nanyang Technological University which would start next August. In the meantime I'm going to explore freelance writing and keep my eyes peeled for corp comm jobs in multinationals. And I'm going to chill, go with the flow and also try not be so in my head all the bloody time.

Wait - back to my birthday. I was feeling super sorry for myself the day before my birthday because I thought no one would give a shit and that I wouldn't get any presents or whatever. Anyway it turns out basically everyone remembered, thanks in part to Facebook, and I got like wish after wish after wish on Facebook and in person. One of the lecturers bought me my favorite Starbucks beverage, a Caramel Macchiato, and the parents came through which money (hee!) and a delicious dinner at Delicious. We had salad, pesto spaghettini with grilled chicken and banoffee pie and banana pudding with vanilla ice cream for dessert. It was amazing. Also Katie totally called while I was at dinner and Cilla remembered to email despite having to work for 13 and a half hours on the day.

So that entire day I just felt completely suffused with love. It was just lovely. I really just want to thank my family, friends, colleagues and God for making it a fantastic day. Here's to 24! May I be less confused and more thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment