Thursday, November 13, 2008

Me: Style Icon

Today when my Mom and I were shopping and then when Ching Wen and I were browsing I was like "I really want a button up shirt, with like a flannel type pattern but in cotton just to wear around." Oh yeah because I'm cool like that.

Anyway we went to Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, Miss Selfridge and Marks and Spencers and all of them had these shirts as the "NEW ARRIVAL" items. To Ching Wen I was like, "Oh my god this is so amazing, I just thought about these shirts and here they are, wow this is so amazing." Then I confided, "This isn't the first time this has happened, actually in Montreal I would sometimes figure out a fashion trend that would be popular before it was." Oh yeah. I thought I was good.

I went home and I reiterated this story to my Mom, and she was a little sceptical, "Are you sure?" And I just nodded sagely, "Oh yes. Sometimes I'm just ahead."

Later I was flipping through magazines for stuff to send in a care package to KW and PM and I happened upon a page with Whitney Port on it dressed in a button up shirt masquerading as a flannel. Oh wait. Then it came to me, of course I'd seen like millions of celebrities wearing it.


The more i thought about it the more I realized that I've bloody seen it everywhere. Not only that, it's probably been around for a while because all those shirts in the stores I visited are the UK's last season's shipment. Then I hung my head in shame and my google search confirmed how not ahead I was. So it turns out I'm not this amazing fashion icon and now I have to feign temporary deafness if my Mom or Ching Wen bring up my speech about my fashion prowess.

In any case I've decided I don't actually care and I'm going to buy a shirt anyway. That is if I can bring myself to pay RM 150 for a plain button down shirt...

2 comments:

  1. I have a shirt like that - from H & M! it was £9 only. they are all over here! do you want me to get you one and post to you? No problem at all!
    Preetha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, please do! I'll email you the details

    ReplyDelete